Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Reason to Give Thanks

Today was a great day of worship at GSJ. Due to holiday travel plans, cold temperatures etc. our attendance was low overall but we had great church. Since this is the last Sunday before Thanksgiving, I wanted to preach a message encouraging our membership to develop an attitude of gratitude for all God does for us on a daily basis. We should not just thank God for material blessings but also spiritual blessings. I received so many words of encouragement from the congregation as many expressed their appreciation for the message. After the service, one of the members reminded me of the last time I preached this passage. It was entitled “An Ex Leper Says Thank You” taken from Luke 17:11-19. It’s good to know that your sermons are recorded in the notebooks of some members of the congregation. She did tell me however that she received so much more this time around. To God be the glory. This time I preached a message entitled “A Reason to Give Thanks.” Here is the sermon outline:



A Reason to Give Thanks

Luke 17:11-19


I. An Awful Condition


a) Dire Circumstance

1) disfigurement (they were lepers) v.12

2) distance (they stood afar off) v.12

b) Desperate Cry (v.13)

II. An Amazing Christ


a) compassion (He saw them) v. 14

b) command (He said unto them) v.14

c) cleansing (as they went, they were cleansed) v.14


III. An Appreciative Convert


a) the return (he turned back) v.15

b) the rejoicing (loud voice glorifying God; fell at Jesus’ feet; giving thanks v.15b-16

c) the result (thy faith has made thee whole; go your way) v.19

7 comments:

Fitts said...

Bro, nobody does it better.

Great outline!!

DeAntwan

Clinton Smith said...

I don't think I'll be preaching this text any time soon! Can the church say Amen!

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor McGhee,
Thank you for bring back to us this sermon of Thanksgiving, I need this and the church did also as a whole. For God's steadfast love, mercy and grace have kept me, even before I was yet conceived
We need to look back and be grateful for the things that God is doing or will do in our lives.
Nobody can do like you Pastor. God bless and keep you always. Sing to the Lord a new song(Psalm 96:1).

Yours in Christ,
LLB

Ronald said...

My, my, my…. I totally agree there is only one Pastor, Dr. McGhee. In the spirit of the text thank you.

Not just a blogger but also a lifelong member,

Ron

Anonymous said...

Pastor McGhee,

What a great texts and outline!

In reading your outline it took me to this particular key word (Grace). It is through the Grace and Love of God that He hears our prayers and healing takes place.

Psalm 86:5-8; For you, O Lord, are good and fogiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. v.6-Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace. v.7-In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. v.8-There is none like you among the Gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours.

To God be the glory!

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great!!!! Thanks for sharing your biblical knowledge with us all! Happy Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

This is a great outline!!! -Kraig