Monday, August 18, 2008

Annual Tent Service & Picnic

Each year on the 3rd Sunday of August, the Greater St. John Church Family engages in worship outside under a tent. This affords us an opportunity to evangelize the surrounding neighborhood with the preaching of the gospel, the singing of hymns and spiritual songs and Christian fellowship. The attire was casual thus disarming anyone who had an excuse for not attending.

We began the day with Sunday school at 8am instead of our regularly scheduled early morning service, followed by the tent service at 10am. More than 500 people were able to worship with us and the weather was superb. Various ministries were able to participate including our youth choir and for the first time, The Stepping for Christ Drill Team.

I preached a message entitled "The Secret to My Satisfaction" from Philippians 4:13. The outline is as follows:


I. An Awesome Reality - "I can"

II. An Available Range - "do all things"

III. An Adequate Resource - "through Christ who strengthens me"


Despite some microphone issues and the aroma of meat cooking in the background, which proved to be stiff competition, the Lord blessed the preaching experience. The message was said to be timely as the lives of many were blessed. We were also blessed to welcome 5 new souls to the family.

Following the service, we broke bread together as friendships were developed and old acquaintances renewed.

I have some pictures to share, but unfortunately, I'm experiencing a few technical difficulties, and will have to upload them in the near future.

One more thing, I will be on vacation from my pastoral responsibilities for the next two weeks. This will allow time for reflection, rest and revival. I will not return to the pulpit until the first Sunday in September. Thank God I finally decided to be good to myself. God Be Praised!

13 comments:

DB said...

Pastor McGhee as always you delivered an inspiring message on Sunday. Your innovative idea of having an annual tent service is so awesome. Everyone really enjoys themselves. The message, the food and the fellowship was wonderful.I am so happy that you are taking a well deserved vacation, although I admit I will miss you in the pulpit. I thank God for sending you to GSJ.

Your trusted member
Doranna

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

I am so glad that you decided to go on vacation!! It is well deserved. Great outline! I am reminded again why you are the mayor of South Bend, IN!

Enjoy yourself!!

Anonymous said...

Pastor, we will miss you that's for sure, but totally understand your need to rest. The Tent service was fabulous, the spirit was strong and I did not want the day to end. Your teaching/preaching is having a strong impact on both of our lives (Jean). Anyway, enjoy your lovely family, we as always will be praying for you and the family and we will help hold the fort down.

If there is anything I can do to help with the pictures, please let me know.

Brother Armstrong

Anonymous said...

Pastor McGhee,

The Tent Service was awesome. God could not have given us a better day. The message, fellowship, and food was wonderful. I will continue to pray for your family and ministry. I thank God for your words of encouragement. Enjoy your vacation!!!

Your faithful member
Janet

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Doc that was an inspiring outline from the heart and mind of a man inspired by God. I am glad that you are getting away. Get some rest and enjoy yourself and your family. Be Blessed my friend.

Lance

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

The tent service and picnic sounds as if it were a great success. It has been many years since we have had one. Kevin was a baby in my arms then and he was frightened by the wind flapping the roof of the tent :-) Ours was successful as well. It was an old fashion one week long tent revival with Evangelists from all over the country preaching.

I am really excited about the 5 who came. Your message seems to have been very appropreate and a blessing to those in attendance.

Have a wonderful vacation. Pastor and I have about 8 more weeks before we have ours. Take care, have fun and be safe.

Unknown said...

Reverend, that will preach all day, just shouted in my office, needed that shout after this morning, bless you sir.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

McGhee, it is so refreshing to see this kind of ministry taking place. Also, it appears that you are a dynamic preacher of the gospel. Keep up the good work my friend. This is the kind of ministry that makes a difference. By the way - your new website is a monster. GREAT JOB!!!

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Wow... I am encouraged by your efforts to go "beyond the walls" with your message and ministry. The sermon outline is another jewel. However, I have come to expect none the less from you. I am very glad to hear that you are going to have the opportunity to get much needed rest. You deserve it... Have a good time.

Kevin

Clinton Smith said...

Great outline, sir! This one of my life passages.

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great outline brother! Be blessed

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your vacation McGhee and keep up the great work when you return.

Tony R.

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

Brother you are truly blessed! I wish i could have been there, i know that it was awesome!! Just know that you are loved!!!!!!!!!!!