Thursday, August 28, 2008

God's Minute

The late Dr. Benjamin Mays, a noted teacher, preacher, dean of Howard University School of Religion, president of Morehouse, and outspoken critic of segregation prior to the modern Civil Rights Movement, penned a short poem which has giving me great inspiration the past few days. It's entitled "God's Minute" and goes like this:


"I have only a minute, only sixty seconds in it, forced upon me, can't refuse it, didn't seek it, didn't choose it. But, it is up to me to use it I must suffer if I lose it. Give account if I abuse it, just a tiny little minute-but eternity is in it."


While reflecting on this morsel of inspiration, against the backdrop of all that's happening in our world, I have to remind myself that time is a precious commodity. We do ourselves a terrible disservice by wasting it on frivolous ideals, instead of focusing on things with eternal consequence.

5 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

My Brother,

I pray that you are enjoying your vacation. This is an excellent poem. It reminds me of the passage in Psalms hat says, "Lord, teach us to number our days, tha we may apply our hearts to wisdom."

Anonymous said...

Pastor McGhee,

"God's Minute" what a awesome poem. I feel grateful for the time and opportunity to meditate in God. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: your purpose is to share the wonderful news of our Lord and Savior.

Thank you my friend.

Hoping you're enjoying your family and vacation.

Be Blessed!!!

Evangelist Marie

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

Wow! Those few words speak volumes. Thankyou for sharing that. Those words are a blessing to those that can recieve them.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

A wonderful post doctor. You are a jewel of a preacher with a great mind for ministry.

Lance

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Thank God for all those who came before us that were good stewards of God's minute. Which rolled over into hours, days, months, years, decades and this new millennium. Each productive minute mounted up the great harvest we are reaping today. I hope and pray that our generation and those to come, for the sake of our future, will not find themselves abusing "God's minute".
Pastor Mcghee, this is a great thought provoking post.
Be Blessed